Adrenal fatigue is a syndrome because it includes a wide variety of symptoms that often seem unrelated. In many cases, men and women suffer from adrenal fatigue due to prolonged periods of extreme stress.
Normally, your body releases a hormone called cortisol in response to physical, psychological, and emotional stress. Cortisol is produced in the adrenal glands. When you are experiencing high levels of stress, your body has a hard time balancing its level of cortisol and you experience the symptoms of adrenal fatigue.
Several lifestyle factors can contribute to adrenal fatigue. These include:
- Not getting enough sleep
- Poor diet
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Too many demands placed on you at one time
Repeated infections, chronic illnesses, and situations where you have little control over your own destiny often lead to adrenal fatigue as well. If your condition is due to unbalanced levels of cortisol and other important hormones, natural hormone replacement therapy can help you feel energetic again.
Most Common Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue
As its name suggests, the most common symptom of adrenal fatigue is an unrelenting feeling of extreme tiredness. This persists even when you get eight or more hours of sleep every night and is the result of lower than normal levels of cortisol, adrenaline, and norepinephrine. You may lack the energy to do well at work or keep up with responsibilities at home or in the community. It feels like you can't get through the day without at least one nap. This has a major impact on your life, especially if you are normally ambitious and physically active.
The following are other common symptoms of this syndrome:
- You have difficulty managing stress due to the imbalance of cortisol, the neurotransmitters in your brain, and other hormones.
- You feel lethargic, apathetic, disinterested, anxious, or irritable much of the time.
- Your energy peaks in the evening and at night, which is the opposite of how it's supposed to work. For most people, cortisol is at its highest upon awakening in the morning and gradually decreases throughout the day. It can be frustrating when you don't seem to have any energy until it's nearly time to go to bed.
- With adrenal fatigue, you lose the ability to balance the minerals potassium, magnesium, and sodium in your blood stream. This can cause a craving for salty foods as well as more frequent urination because you drink more to quench your thirst.
- Due to a weakened immune system, you tend to get sick with common illnesses more often than you did in the past. This happens when your stress levels are too high and your body must focus most of its efforts on managing that instead of fighting off viruses.
Chronic fatigue affects every area of your life. Contact MSN Healthcare today about balancing your hormones with natural replacements so you can have the energy you need to thrive, not just survive.